Part P Third Party Certification Schemes – Certify Others Electrical Work

Part P Third Party Certification Schemes – Certify Others Electrical Work

On 6th April 2014 that an official Government approved register was finalised finally ending the confusion about insurance and work guarantees that surrounded third party electrical work sign offs.  The bodies that have been authorised to operate schemes are listed on the DCLG website.

A person registered with one of the schemes can check domestic electrical work undertaken by installers who are not registered with a Part P competent person self-certification scheme provider.  In practice, this is typically DIY work.  Third Party approved contractors can check and certify that the work is compliant with the Building Regulations. Before 6th April, only building control bodies  could certify work by non-registered installers.

The NICEIC and ELECSA believe that the registers requirements do not comply with the standards and safeguards electrical safety. They also suggest the register is not UKAS accredited thus there will be no independent verification checking the scheme operators are performing to the required standards. The Government accepts UKAS are unable to offer accreditation to this type of work and are seeking to identify other independent parties to conduct the appropriate audits and verification of the scheme operators.


Third Party Certification Scheme

Currently, there are only two scheme operators who participate in the third party certification scheme.  These are NAPIT Registration Ltd and Stroma Certification Limited. Unlike the standard Part P approved status, registration is both the individual certifier and the company that employs them, this ensures that requirements that can only be placed on a legal entity can be enforced. No electrical business can certify any third party electrical work until they are registered on a Third Party Certification Scheme.


Third Party Scheme Provider

Electricians can become registered with a Government approved third party scheme provider through either their own company or firm.  This would be in addition to self certification registration.  Once third party registered you would be able to check domestic electrical work that is undertaken by others and certify it is compliant with building regulations.

The certifier must be notified by the installer in advance, and the certifier involved throughout the installation, not just at the end. The third party certifier will complete a DCLG agreed third party certification report (an EICR is not acceptable) subject to satisfactory completion of inspection and testing, and give this to the person ordering the work. Electrical work must be notified by the certifier to their scheme within 5 days of completion, and this information will be forwarded to local authorities in accordance with the Regulations.


Minimum Technical Competence For Third Party Certification Schemes For Electrical Installations In Dwellings

Electricians have to meet a minimum technical competence.  Both the electrical business and electricians themselves will be assessed on technical competence. In order to be registered with a third party certification scheme, electricians will need to demonstrate that they meet the relevant minimum technical competence requirements: Download PDF


How schemes are authorised

The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) is in charge of authorising third party certification schemes. This ensures  the standards are consistent, and conditions that scheme operators must meet are met